Thursday, February 28, 2013

Grandfathers

I've been praying a lot for my Grandfather as he is sick.  He has been with me since I was a baby.  Sadly, I never got to meet my paternal grandfather, so my maternal grandfather is all I have.  I am blessed to have him and both grandmothers (paternal and maternal). 

My grandpa is the one who taught me my ABCs, numbers, my native tongue Dari and so much more about life.  He is the one who would encourage me to dream, have ambitions and told me I can be anything I want to be. He was and maybe still is my biggest fan.  Unconditional love, patience and guidance are some words I would use to describe what he has given me. 

I came across the quotes below and they describe thoughts and feelings I have when I reflect on our relationship. 


“My grandfather was a wonderful role model. Through him I got to know the gentle side of men.” Sarah Long


"Some of the world's best educators are grandparents.” Charles W. Shedd


“A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart." Author Unknown

 "Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children.” Alex Haley

"What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies.” Rudolph Giuliani