Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"Watan" by Sediq Shabab

This song is and video is beautiful, artistic, meaningful, powerful and tragic. It's a song about Afghanistan, sung in the Pushto language. This song is heavy and it carries much symbolism to me. This is how I see it: The beautiful woman in white represents Afghanistan. When the woman is dancing on broken glass and she is hurt, the men in the uniforms represent the Communists and West to me, laughing at her, taunting her, using her and trying to break her. Yet Afghanistan didn't die, she fought to stay alive and those men fled. The people who are blindfolded represent the Afghans, in the time of the war, many people were terrified and were trying to survive. Some stayed, some fled and many died. I think of my parents and my relatives whom fled Afghanistan, not knowing where to run to, or what was going to happen to them. They were running blind and needed to go anywhere but where they were, or else death could be a result. I think of my parents whom fled to Pakistan and crossed the border secretly, risking their lives, as many Afghan refugees did and they were a young newlywed couple. Who would think that they would go to Pakistan and then from there get to the U.S. a couple years later? They didn't know if they would survive or be homeless in Pakistan, let alone the U.S. But to come here with nothing and to make something out of their life, blows my mind. Still, they long for their country, their motherland, to go back home to once more kiss Afghanistan's beloved earth. I, being their child, long to go to Afghanistan, yet she is brutally being torn apart. The people swimming in blood signifies us bathing in the blood of our people, of the innocent lives whom were taken or couldn't escape. I could keep going, but it's better to leave it to each reader's perspective...

Hope it strikes a chord within you as it did to me...

No comments: