Thursday, December 31, 2009

2010...really?

 

Man, another year flying by, subhan'Allah (Glory be to God).

Last day of 2009, and while being stuck in the office with barely anyone else around, the thick blanket of silence forces me into a contemplative mode--reflecting on the past year.  2010, a year that I imagined would contain spaceships as cars and living on Mars.  When I was a little girl I never even thought we would be living to see such a date.  In elementary school, we would write stories based on 2010 and what we imagined life to be like on earth.  It's nothing close to what I had imagined! By 2010, I thought I would be happily married with a few children, teaching, living in some little suburban town with a white-picket fence and taking the family for a vacation once or twice a year--and thats it.  Boy, how times change. Who knew that every other girl was dreaming a similar dream at some point and how few of us actually have experienced it!  That dream hasn't happened to anyone I know, in that exact way, usually one or the other has, but not the whole package.  It's a reflection of how time has changed our outlook in life, society's standards, norms and expectations.

Bringing it back to my random thought process, I am grateful to have made it another year.  If I have offended you in any way, or you have seen any bad from me, please forgive me, as it is my own bad self and any good is from our Almighty Creator.  This year has had a lot of ups and downs and has been a heck of a roller-coaster, but one filled with MANY lessons thankfully!

May 2010 be filled with new hopes, dreams, aspirations and achievements for us.  I wish you success in this life and the next and remember that each breath could be our last, so don't take the people in your life for granted.  Tomorrow's not promised, so make today the best day you can! 

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."-M.Ghandi

2 comments:

Faraz said...

Beautifully written. Interestingly enough I had envisioned 2010 to be the exact same way. Well equipped with flying cars and little robots making us breakfast before we even wake up in the morning (Im pretty sure I got that scene right out of a movie, irobot maybe?)
well in any case, let's just say I think you may be one step closer to the dreams/goals you had painted in your mind. Not quite sure if you've attained that white picket fence yet but what I do know is that you are indeed, an excellent 'teacher'. I see back in elementary school you knew you wanted to teach - bet you weren't aware you'd be so great at it.

Im inspired by your magnificent work on this blog. Needless to say I am definitely a fan.

Faraz

Maryam Noori said...

Thank you for the kind words. I figured we would be living in the Jetsons Cartoon by the time this era would hit. Guess we still have a little ways to go since I haven't considered buying a robot or a flying car.

As for being a teacher, thank you, I only wish to be deserving of such a title. I just share whatever passes through my life, and I believe Life is the best teacher, isn't it?

I appreciate the feedback, greatly.

Peace & Light.