Thursday, October 9, 2008

"All that..."

So,
I’m wondering how many more times in my life I’m going to be asked why I am “doing all that”, (with a motion by the index finger circling around my face and proceeding from my head to my toe)…I always ask what “all that” means, and then I’m given a brief explanation in reference to my Hijab and how I have to wear long-sleeves and clothes that hide my assets. “Here we go again” I think to myself and take a deep breath and brace myself for another explanation as to why I love bearing the flag of my Faith and for making an effort to be modest. It’s almost routine…as if I am a telemarketer for Islam and Hijab and I have my script in my mind, reading it off to the public. I’m not trying to sell any ideas to them, I’m explaining why I wear my intentions.

Want to know what makes it the most humorous? Well..humorous but sad…The majority of those that ask me that question…come from a muslim family/background…
It’s not sad to say that they are ignorant…its just that some don’t know and have never learned…but then again some of them choose the ignorant route because they refuse to think it makes sense…some just get rude and state their opinions…but hey man, it’s all good…you can state what you want, but I know what I know as well…It’s sad that we call ourselves Muslim but some of us don’t ever take a crack at learning why Islam asks us to do certain things…don’t get me wrong, you don’t have to agree or submit to it…but just learn…

I learned history in school…Yeah I didn’t fight in the wars, but I still learned a lot from it, didn’t I? We are to learn as much as we can learn…we only use 10% of our brains as it is…how sad is that? Expand your horizons a little and open your eyes…learn something every single day..or better yet, learn more than a few things…

The only ones that limit us are our own selves…

Why aim for the sky when we can shoot for the moon, eh?

So, before you go asking someone why they’re doing “all that”…learn to keep your index finger down, don’t assume, and learn what it is that the person is doing, by maybe researching it yourself and also asking them in a more polite way….and wipe that concerned look off your face…you never know..that person might be on cloud 9 for what they’re doing ;)

Word…(c)

-MN-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though we live here as a minority, it seems like the biggest criticism is coming from people from within this minority. My friend who calls himself Muslim and is very proud to be called one told me the other day he would never want a hijabi wife or he would never want to pray 5 times a day... ohh the humour of it all. Ignorance is not a bliss.

Anonymous said...


Of them are some who listen unto thee, but We have placed upon their hearts veils, lest they should understand, and in their ears a deafness. If they saw every token they would not believe therein; to the point that, when they come unto thee to argue with thee, the disbelievers say: This is naught else than fables of the men of old.

Holy Quraan 6:25



ومنهم من يستمع اليك وجعلنا على قلوبهم اكنة ان يفقهوه وفي اذانهم وقرا وان يروا كل اية لا يؤمنوا بها حتى اذا جاؤوك يجادلونك يقول الذين كفروا ان هذا الا اساطير الاولين

سورة الأنعام: ٢٥

-- Paraclete