Monday, September 29, 2008

Rabi´a al-Adawiyya


The source of my suffering and loneliness is deep in my heart.
This is a disease no doctor can cure.
Only Union with the Friend can cure it.


I have made You the Companion of my heart.
But my body is available to those who desire its company,
And my body is friendly toward its guest,
But the Beloved of my heart is the guest of my soul.
O Lord,
If tomorrow on Judgment Day
You send me to Hell,
I will tell such a secret
That Hell will race from me
Until it is a thousand years away.

O Lord,Whatever share of this world
You could give to me,
Give it to Your enemies;
Whatever share of the next world You want to give to me,
Give it to Your friends.
You are enough for me.

O Lord, If I worship You
From fear of Hell, burn me in Hell.
O Lord, If I worship You
From hope of Paradise, bar me from its gates.

But if I worship You for Yourself alone
Then grace me forever the splendor of Your Face.